Personal information is defined under PIPEDA as any information that is identifiable or directly attributable to an individual. It does not cover information about an individual that is available from a public source, such as a telephone directory.
PURPOSES FOR COLLECTING PERSONAL INFORMATION
Ed’s Auto Repair Centre collects personal information for the following limited purposes:
- to process an application for a warranty service;
- to establish and maintain contact with client;
- to process a claim under the warranty;
- to confirm details of client place of residence;
- to confirm the identity of the client; and
- to ensure a high standard of service to customers.
CONSENT TO THE COLLECTION, USE, AND DISCLOSURE OF PERSONAL INFORMATION
Ed’s Auto Repair Centre will not use client personal information for any purposes other than that consented to by the resident, either by express or implied consent. Ed’s Auto Repair Centre does not sell, barter or lease personal information it obtains from its clients to third parties.
If the client requests additional services of Ed’s Auto Repair Centre beyond that of the original applications, the client is giving implied consent to Ed’s Auto Repair Centre using the personal information already held for the original purpose, as well as any new personal information collected for the new purpose and no signature will be required on a new or amending agreement.
ACCURACY OF A CLIENT’S PERSONAL INFORMATION
Ed’s Auto Repair Centre endeavours to ensure that all personal information provided by the client and in its possession, is accurate, current and as complete as is necessary for the purposes for which the personal information was collected, used and maintained. Upon notification by a client that the personal information requires correction or updating, Ed’s Auto Repair Centre will make the necessary amendments to the client’s file where applicable.
Personal information contained in files that have been closed will not be actively updated or maintained.
RETENTION OF A CLIENT’S PERSONAL INFORMATION
Ed’s Auto Repair Centre will retain personal information until the relationship with the client is terminated either by the client or Ed’s Auto Repair Centre.
Ed’s Auto Repair Centre has implemented a number of physical, organizational and technological safeguards appropriate to the sensitivity of the client’s personal information.
Ed’s Auto Repair Centre makes available its privacy policies and procedures regarding the handling of personal information that it collects on the Internet website at www.edsautorepaircentre.com . As well, any inquiries regarding personal information management practices may be directed to the proprietor.
Under PIPEDA, an individual is entitled to access to the personal information held about them with the following exceptions as permitted under the Federal Privacy Legislation:
- Ed’s Auto Repair Centre will deny access if the individual seeking access fails to produce sufficient identification to verify that they are the individual about whose personal information access is being sought;
- No access will be granted to personal information that is not about the individual seeking access;
- No access will be granted to information that is part of a criminal investigation;
- No access will be granted where such access would harm or interfere with law enforcement activities and other investigative functions of a body authorized by statute to perform such functions;
- No access will be granted to information where such access might threaten the life, safety and security, including psychological safety, of the individual seeking access;
- No access will be granted to an individual who is a minor or mentally incompetent.
Where possible, Ed’s Auto Repair Centre will provide the requested information at nominal costs to the individual. The Chief Privacy Officer will investigate all concerns or complaints respecting the handling of personal information under the control of Ed’s Auto Repair Centre that are received in writing. As promptly as possible, the Chief Privacy Officer will report to the individual the results of the investigation and, where the complaint is found to be justified, steps will be taken to resolve the matter.
Ed Leblanc Proprietor / Chief Privacy Officer
Ed’s Auto Repair Centre 846 Notre Dame Ave. Sudbury, ON P3A 2T4
Facsimile: (705) 456-4546
If a question arises regarding access to your personal information held by Ed’s Auto Repair Centre, or there is a concern about the manner in which Ed’s Auto Repair Centre collects, uses, retains and discloses your personal information as a resident of Ed’s Auto Repair Centre, please contact:
INVESTIGATING OF COMPLAINTS
The individual entitled to access may challenge the completeness of their personal information under Ed’s Auto Repair Centre’s care and control. Upon successful demonstration that there is an error in the personal information held by Ed’s Auto Repair Centre, Ed’s Auto Repair Centre will amend the information where appropriate.
Upon receiving a request for access in writing, Ed’s Auto Repair Centre will endeavour to have the information available to the individual seeking access within 60 days of verification of the individual’s indentity.